World Mental Health Day
Posted: 10th Oct 2018
Did You Know?
- One in four adults have a mental health issue
- One in ten children have a mental health issue
- Depression is the biggest mental health problems worldwide, followed by anxiety, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder
- The five key factors that affect the mental health and well-being of older people are; discrimination, participation in meaningful activities, relationships, physical health and poverty
- In 2013, the Chief Medical Officers report estimated the cost of mental health to the UK to be £70-£100 billion per year
How can you help?
There is often a stigma attached to mental health problems and this can make it hard for those suffering to seek help. According to UK estimates, only one in four people suffering with a mental health problem undergoes ongoing treatment.
The best way to combat the stigma surrounding mental health is to raise awareness. By understanding more about what it is and what the symptoms are, we are in a better position to help and support those around us.
Take a moment to visit the Mind website https://www.mind.org.uk/
Here you can find information on many forms of mental health problems, such as anger, depression, anxiety, drugs and eating disorders.
If you need advice or support, you can call the Mind Infoline on 0300 123 3393